Friday, September 20, 2013

Matallic Silver Accent Chalkboard

OK, where do I start with this one?  It was pretty simple to do. I just needed to "shop" my home to find things not being used and then decide how to make them work.

This used to be a picture of some hideous scene where a darkly-lit path coils down to a secluded spot and you find a table with two glasses and a rose sticking out of one, but it felt like you would uncover a crime scene if you ventured any further down that street.  I hated it but loved the simple frame.
 Later, I added this metallic fabric underneath and placed it behind my flat screen TV for another focal point and some reflection (kind of like a large mirror).  Months later,  I moved it into a different room and added stickers and the names of my kiddos to brighten up their nursery.  Then I stashed it away never to be seen after they were big enough to pull at things.

Ironically, as I thrifted on the weekends, I looked high and low for a large glass picture that I could use to apply chalkboard paint and track the weeks of my pregnancy, or write a to do list (honey do list) or whatever.

picture frame

Then it dawned on my that I had just what I was looking for already.  Ta da!  (Go Kelly, it's your Birthday- and I don't care- I'll dance anyway!)  Ahem.

picture frame

So, I actually used that Goo Gone stuff that I have had for 11 hundred years and never tried and boom, it worked-well.  I let it sit and then just scraped.  It smelled like lemons too!

picture frame

Then I rigged the back of my frame with Popsicle sticks to keep the glass from sliding out since I had taken the original picture out and added the fabric.  I have a staple gun but it does not get close enough to the backing.  Does anyone else use Popsicle sticks to keep the glass and picture in or do I need to Google a better solution?  Anyone?
picture frame
So I also added the tabs to the top to hang the picture since I did not like way it was set up before.  It is really heavy and I want to make sure it stays put with kids in the home.

picture frame

Then I had my hubby write a message since his penmanship is MUCH better than mine.  I know- this was completed a while back but it never hurts to say Happy Labor Day again right?  I spent mine making this.

picture frame 

And I love it.  It is in that narrow hall of mine so it's kind tough to take a great pic since it is kind of darkish but it is swell.  Mostly it is swell because I already had the stuff to make it worked and I finally did it.  Isn't it handsome!  I love the way the metallic silver fabric and black frame looks with the dark blue wall. It is an easy way to add some bling to your home.  When the light or the sun hits it, it has a pretty glow.

What things do you keep telling yourself that you will repurpose as soon as you get a chance?


2 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love it when I can shop my home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks- yes nothing better than saving cash and making something more useable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your comments. I read, appreciate and reply to them all.